Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Lack of Culprit

So California ISN’T the problem.

The problem is San Francisco.

Hop on SFGate.com on any given week and you will probably catch a story on how the City is failing on the homeless question, or how the homeless have overrun a neighborhood, or how we need a program for the homeless, etc., etc., etc.

Or you can visit San Diego and wonder how in the hell San Francisco gets it so wrong.

I am not from this state, and this post is going to be more of an education for me rather than news to the reader, I’m sure, but I have so many questions about this. Is San Diego in the red part of the state? Between the time that I landed in San Diego on Friday, April 14th at 11 pm and took off on Sunday, April 16th at 4 pm, I encountered 4 homeless people, and one of them bore a strong resemblance to an earlier one that I counted. The sidewalks were baked white in the April sun and were stunningly free of human excrement or even the peppering of blackened gum spots. I would say that SD powerwashes their sidewalks every hour, except the walks are dry. The only other option is that they get tough with their homeless. When I asked my brother about it, he replied, “Yeah, they don’t put up with them here.”

Would it be wrong to write to Gavin and ask him to take a quick shuttle to SD and find out what they do? Or does one of my readers know?

If it’s extermination, I don’t need to know, but in the same state homeless program failures seems extreme even for here.

No comments: