Sunday, March 7, 2010

Oscar the Grouch

I spent the early hours of the morning this morning copying the list of Academy Award Nominees to my Netflix que. I'm one of those neurotic people who doesn't have much time for herself, and my theory is that when I get to watch a movie or read a book they better be good ones, dammit, because otherwise it's a waste of time.

So I pull my movie recommendations and reading lists from awards.

Pause for the sound of crickets.

It probably makes me a snob, but it also lends to some sort of obligation--if the suggestions are coming from academy-based lists, shouldn't they be good? But I once tried to read "Anna Karenina" from Oprah book club list and couldn't handle it.

Perhaps it's better to "waste time" with a good-looking trailer or cover.

No comments: