Thursday, August 6, 2009

Lots of Smoke and Little Standing


Somewhere in the violent twists of this vined City a foghorn goes off and I breathe a sigh of relief.

I ain't dead yet.

My days this week have reminded me that the majority of the world has been watching "Cops" or reality television for far too long. Life had no perspective at all for me...and now I have a perspective, clear as a cold lake. For years, people have turned to me and given others license with the lame-ass reason that began with the statement "Well, what you have to understand about them is..." No more. No excuses for others when I had to make miracles happen with a mustard seed as my only weapon.

To catch everyone up to speed...

On July 31st, just after lunch, we were having some issues with loading and unloading at our worksite. One distraction led to fifty, and I ended up trying to run through a metal cart that I forgot was to my right, and flipped my body only to slam it down on the concrete hand first. My first thought and treatment, broken hand. By that Saturday night my body was telling me a different story, and the following Wednesday I couldn't move.

Since Wednesday I have been learning how to move.

"Funny the way it is, if you think about it," sings Dave Matthews, and I have thought about it. I thought about it staring at the patterns of clouds on my ceiling. I thought about what would shut down next. And then I came up with plan B.

And here I sit, typing one-handed.

I AIN'T DEAD YET.

Go on, dear reader.

No comments: