Wednesday, March 4, 2009

30 Random Songs On My iPod

For any readers on Facebook, here's a new list, inspired by Jen Lancaster, one of my favorite authors (and whom I have seen on her last tour!)...

30 Random Songs On My iPod
  1. Straight Time, Bruce Springsteen - You think it's hard to live with life's "rules"? Try doing it with a criminal past that ain't quite past.
  2. In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning, Carly Simon - From the "Sleepless In Seattle" soundtrack. Simon's full, breathing words kind of soothe me into, well, relaxed repose. Funny since the song is about insomnia.
  3. The John Dunbar Theme, John Barry - From the movie "Dances With Wolves." Want to make this song really kick ass and give you gooseflesh? Ride a train through the Peninsula on an evening when the sunset is busting up stormclouds. The faster version later in the soundtrack is great for Muni bus rides.
  4. Lullaby, Dixie Chicks - From the "we were shunned and now we are back" album. Makes me want kids. Even more than I usually do, if that is possible.
  5. No Wonder, Barbra Streisand - From my favorite Streisand musical, the thinking-girl's musical, "Yentl." Awful lot of movie stuff on this 'pod...
  6. Makambo, Geoffrey Oryema - Bess's goodbye song. I didn't think the iPod would betray me like this. This song was loaded on my laptop the day Bess passed away (it's one of my brother's cds, and I was in Fresno for her cremation). I always think of Girl when this plays...fetching Q-tips, curling up in my lap when I tried to write...how I didn't know how I was going to live without her. And now I do.
  7. When The Heartache Is Over, Tina Turner/Vonda Shepard - CHICKS KICK ASS SONG. All about the girl power. Good exercise song.
  8. Idaho, Train - I like all of Train's music just for the sound, but this song isn't what I would call a "favorite." Just like it, more or less...
  9. Powerless (Say What You Want), Nelly Furtado - The only Nelly F song I like. Think it has to do with the banjos...
  10. Love Me, Just Leave Me Alone, Jewel - Guitar brings it on this one, very BLUES/ROCKABILLY. Her lyrics are always a little jacked up, but I like 'em...reminds me of me, lovin' on words 'cause they taste good.
  11. Land of 1000 Dances, Wilson Pickett - Really? I need to say WHY this is on my 'pod? You're really gonna ask? Sheesh...
  12. Never Change, Bill Conti - Instrumental jazz from the remake of "The Thomas Crown Affair." Reminds me of rainy day in Paris, for some reason. And I've never been to Paris.
  13. Superman, Barbra Streisand - Idolizing men, girl not good enough, sigh...
  14. Orchestra Suite Number 1 in C, Johann Sebastian Bach - Good writin' music, as is all classical.
  15. A Heart in New York, Simon & Garfunkel - First brought to my attention by Garth Brooks, this song renewed a love affair with the music of Art and Paul...
  16. Here With Me, Dido - Applied to every man I ever loved who didn't love me. That list is long, compared to reciprocated, which is empty.
  17. You're Just a Country Boy, Alison Krauss - Soft, slow, delicate, I want a boy like the boy in the song, thanks Miss Krauss, I don't care how poor he is...
  18. Peace In Our Time, Eddie Money - Cheesy as hell and one of my very favorites from the 80's. Had the cassette single. Stop snickering.
  19. Uninvited, Alanis Morrisette - Delightfully good break-up song.
  20. Thank You, Dido - Okay, just me, or do I have too much Dido and Streisand on this 'pod? :)
  21. It Must Have Been Love, Roxette - Can't think of this without thinking of the name Cinder-fucking-rella...
  22. Closer and Closer Apart, Mary Chapin Carpenter - Favorite country artist of all time, although I would call her closer to folk...deep, simple, like soup on a cold day in nourishment.
  23. Why Walk When You Can Fly, Mary Chapin Carpenter - My 'pod likes her as much as I do. ;)
  24. Ain't It Heavy, Melissa Etheridge - Used to work out to this song back in the Branson, Missouri days...good pumping iron song. Get it? Heavy? Yeah, yeah...
  25. This Hard Land, Bruce Springsteen - OH YEAH. ANGRY BALLAD. LOTSA HARMONICA. THE BOSS. BEAT US SENSELESS WITH THAT GUITAR AND DRUMS, E STREET.
  26. Independence Day, Martina McBride - Good strong-woman song--a little violent, but it works.
  27. Desperado, The Eagles - From the "Hell Freezes Over" concert album. Yes, I am all in solitude with this song.
  28. (Back to Bach's Suite from earlier...see number 14, different movement.)
  29. Lonely Avenue, Ray Charles - Swing it, Ray. Somebody pour me a JD...
  30. You Sexy Thing, Hot Chocolate - Oh, yeah...ahem, and with that, the list is a wrap! (Blushes...)

;)

No comments: