Wednesday, September 24, 2008

She's a Good Girl...Free Fallin', Fallin'...


So.

Last week I wrote a post on good movies for dates, based on the musings of the Chronicle. I mentioned a classmate of mine who had hooked me up with an uncle of his who was 19 at the time.

Yesterday I heard from that classmate for the first time in about 18 years. The day before that I heard from another classmate of 18 years hence.

It's surreal. The mind trips back like sandpipers, remembering. The classmate with the uncle used to play along on the piano while I would belt "The Rose." The woman of the day before yesterday used to snatch up my book of scenes from my love of acting in high school, and we'd do readings. She had a basset hound. The man with the uncle drove Bonnevilles.

All the bad boys, standing in the shadows...all the good girls, are home with broken hearts...

That song was what I associated with that uncle, the first guy to think of me as an afterthought...and I always thought of Tom Petty when I thought of those Bonneville and Nova evenings.

Now I'm free...free falling...

It's even stranger now. John Mayer does a mean cover, and I'm here in California, closer to a long day living with a freeway running through the yard than I ever could be back in the states.

Do I look different?

I will always wonder.

No comments: