Monday, September 3, 2007

Girl Clothes


There's a scene in the Steven Spielberg movie "Always" where Holly Hunter's character says to Richard Dreyfuss's character, "Oh, Pete, GIRL clothes...it's how you see me."


I thought of her yesterday at the deYoung.
Keep in mind that fashion has always been the LAST thing on my list of interests, if it's on there at all. I loathe fashion shows, clothing stores, etc, and have nothing to talk about with women concerning this issue, that is, until I saw the Nan Kempner: American Chic exhibition at the deYoung museum in Golden Gate park yesterday. The experience was made doubly, triply sweet by the fact that my sister-in-law was with me (she likes art like I do, with no pretention and with her heart) and that it was my first time at the deYoung.
The first thing we saw upon arrival was the observation deck, and it and its arial map of the City hit me between the eyes like a brick with the joy of how I used to feel getting off the train at 4th & King and walking the platform to the streets that would take me to explore. I learned that the museum is open late on Friday nights--new writing hangout, perhaps? The possibilities start letting light in where the soul is cracked and rotten to create the compost much needed. I stood there among what was touching my soul and hoped: will God be present for my intellectual growth, albeit small, as well as my growth of compassion? I take what I want from faiths and from museums and get frowned upon for it as a flake. But it's all my own, and I sail away from the shore like Patterson, feeling my own reality parallel itself in the dark.
Then we went downstairs and saw the fashion show, stopped stark in mannikin time. And I found that I would wear a great deal of these pieces. The jewelry still doesn't have me sold, but I loved the feminity of the clothing, hats and shoes. I am woman. Sometimes, the statement shocks my hardworking skin and muscles.
We browsed the rest of the venue, and my favorites were the Saxe collection of contemporary art in glassworks; put simply, I love glass and the art of glass-blowing, so that collection posed impact. I also liked the exhibit entitled "Guise: Recent Prints by Deborah Oropallo." Oropallo takes famous Victorian paintings and then "layers" them with colorful photo portraits of strippers and burlesque portraits that she has found online. This creates a cross-dressing look at times, a juxtaposition of history in others. Napoleon stands with navy hot pants. George Washington sports fishnet. I wouldn't want to the look at the pictures all day in my home (only the eyes match up, which gives the pictures a sense of if you walked to stage left or stage right it might change--but it doesn't), but they are intriguing in the gallery.
I don't want to give the impression that I am an art scholar or art expert, not by any means. But this visit opened up doors for me into discovering parts of myself that could accept more and not lecture the more I have accepted. There were many aspects of the museum that made me shrug or scratch my head. But there were others that I could have sat with all day, like a newborn kitten with needs for mother's milk or an aged friend of story-telling richness. I will go back. The stars point to me writing more on the subject.
All this, only 3 blocks away.
Sweet dreams and sleep well, dear reader.




2 comments:

dkearns72 said...

sister-in-law? figurative, right? or did they tie they knot?

Jo Jardin said...

Figurative, yes. It's easier than saying "my brother's girlfriend" every time...