Saturday, September 8, 2007

Commentary

Watching the next disk of "Big Love," I am struck by two things:
  • The character of Margene looks like the grown-up version of someone that I new in Missouri. She is the granddaughter of P from my old blog. This woman looks like what Grace will look like when she grows up, if she dyes her hair dark brown.
  • Bill Paxton is actually intelligent.

I love a garden that smells of compost, I love a kitchen that smells of garlic, and I love a mind that smells of use. When I first saw Paxton in a couple of movies, I don't know why, but he seemed all braun and no brains at all (let's face it, though; in "Twister" that was mostly the unbelievable bad dialogue by the writers. "Apollo 13" gave less room for slacking). But in this disk Paxton and his "first" leading lady Jeanne Tripplehorn comment on the 5th episode, where they have an affair outside the rules of the family. Paxton is chock FULL of literary references and television history for what we are watching. The last time I enjoyed a commentary this much was Ron Howard for "A Beautiful Mind."

No comments: