Wednesday, September 5, 2007

All the Leaves Are Brown, And the Sky Is Gray...


California Dreamin'...
Um, no.
It's fire season here in California, with hot temps, cracking low humidity, and then strike a match and THERE IT IS...
Yesterday wasn't so bad, but today I had to go out and mail a package at the post office and the SoMA neighborhood could have just as easily been Fresno. Starting Monday afternoon a trash fire got out of control in Morgan Hill, and then today the smoke reached the City--in the heat I have the window open to my bedroom tonight and I can taste and smell the smoke. At least it's not just trash now but mostly trees--burning tires would probably make me ill.
Makes me think of Barbara in "The Way We Were," missing New York: "I miss the trees...I wish it would rain."
Because, you know, it ain't rained here in a while.
Is this hell? One has to wonder...
And when I sing with The Mamas and The Papas, California is the gray, dead world to escape from. To play...
I'd be safe from warm,
If I was far from L.A.
California dreamin'
For such a winter's day.
Winter's comin', I hope.

No comments: