Monday, September 7, 2009

...and Harry


Mere minutes ago I mentioned how difficult it was to pick a new book to read. Right now I have a whole bouquet that I'm reading from:


  • "Birds of America: Stories" by Lorrie Moore - My first book of short stories in some years

  • "Harry Potter and the (fill in the latest here)" by JK Rowling - Never finished the series from when I started it in 2003

  • "Eat Pray Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert - For probably the 80th time, but it's comforting at some points in one's life

  • "Out of Africa" by Isak Dinesen - See the note on Gilbert, above

Harry is sort of a re-run and sort of not. When I started the study of Harry in 2003 I think there were only four or five of the books at the time, and I grew tired of waiting to read about a character in installments. I can't even remember which book I left off at--between the movies and the talk since then the line has been worn blurry to the point where I can't find it anymore. I do know that when I read the collection as it stood in 2003, I read the collection in a month, August to be precise, and I remember sobbing like a schoolgirl at the later and darker passages. But that time was a lot closer to the loss of my own parent and so far the first installment has been uneventful, albeit entertaining. Rowling isn't the world's greatest writer, but she is a fantastic storyteller, which in some circles of those of us who are desperate to be entertained without wasting in front of the television, more important.


Tell me more, Harry.

No comments: