Sunday, June 1, 2008

Organic


I have a stack of books next to my dresser in my bedroom, and from time to time a visit to my therapist's neighborhood also proves a visit to The Book Store in West Portal, whether I need it or not.


On one of these visits I picked up a copy of a collection of essays/memoirs by Barbara Kingsolver called "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle." For those of us die-hard green folks (remember, I refuse to get a car, despite the fact that it would be "easier"), it seemed to be another one of those geological texts that my brother and I crave (my brother's geological professor at Ohio State University was featured in Al Gore's film "An Inconvenient Truth"). I like these ecological things on a micro level--blades of grass. My brother likes them on a grand level--snow disappearing from Kilimanjaro. This book wouldn't address my brother's interest, but it finally addressed mine.


About a month ago I stuck a bookmark in it and vowed to myself that I would try to read a chapter a week (small steps). Weeks passed, no words absorbed. Tonight I picked it up and read to page 8.


I want to grow things again.


I will talk about this more to come, dear reader. In the meantime, be healthy, with my compliments.

No comments: