Sunday, March 2, 2008

Tour of the City: By Bookstore

Yesterday I wrote on a new project of mine for making some cultural sense of the City for me, and that was to tour the City’s libraries and form a tour guide of the City in that fashion. In today’s blog, I propose a complementary sister project of doing the same with the City’s independent bookstores.

Bookstores, as most of us know, like libraries, also sponsor events from time to time, sometimes allow for seated enjoyment of previews of books you might buy, and some even feature extra perks in their ajacency to coffee shops and cafés. (Some, like the bookstores in Mountain View and Seattle, have cafés in them, like Borders and Barnes and Noble.) As I made in my pledge yesterday regarding the libraries, my hope is to provide a tour/knowledge of the City through libraries and bookstores as well—the aspects of them that I love, the aspects I don’t care for, the neighborhood around them, etc.

Sometimes I will note the discoveries here, and perhaps compile the whole thing in a guide for the newly arrived someday. In the meantime, I hope that you find this as interesting as I do, and I wish you, for the second day in a row…

Happy Reading, dear peruser!

No comments: