Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Suspicious Fish Dish

I spent Saturday in the Mission, as I am wont to do these days looking for bookstores, and a coworker had recommended that if I go down there to try Weird Fish for lunch. Weird Fish is located on the cross-streets of 18th and Mission, on Mission itself on the right side if you are heading back toward Market, and I was lucky enough to be there at lunch.

(I will also say that I was at the Mission version of Philz’ earlier that day and Phil himself made my coffee. Ah, celebrity…)

Anyway, enough fawning over men in fedoras, I had fish to eat. The place is HUGELY bohemian (for pics and stuff see their website at http://www.weirdfishsf.com/), and I don’t think I saw a single person in there over the age of thirty. I had to wonder how my coworker fit in when he went, since he is a guy in his 50’s, but no matter. I was there to scope it out. I tried the grilled rainbow trout in three peppers, which wasn’t bad—they aren’t expensive, but this is the au naturale stuff, like Gratitude CafĂ© in the Sunset and others in the Haight, where everything is “green” and organic and local. The taste didn’t blow me away, but other things on the menu looked good (fried pickles? BA-BY…), so I’ll probably go back to try other things.

In addition to this, the restaurant is only two blocks from Good Vibrations.

Rock on, she says, blushing.

3 comments:

dkearns72 said...

I love the Gratitude Cafe in Berkeley. What do u think of the one in the Sunset?

Jo Jardin said...

To be honest, I haven't tried it. Vegetarian places seem to be last on my list--if I can't get a big slab of fish with my meal, then I'm going to walk out and not be able to concentrate.

Does Gratitude have fish? I though it was no meat whatsoever for them...either way I'll do my best to get to it one of these days...

dkearns72 said...

it's really hard-core, so there's no fish. they do the thing with "live food" where they dont believe in cooking anything above a certain temperature and such. i didnt follow the whole thing really or understand it, but they were as hard-core as ive ever seen!

the real love for me is the whole group table thing, and servers asking "what are you GRATEFUL for?!" and just an entirely fun hippie vibe.