Friday, January 18, 2008

Solace

This week on Yelp the featured article is where a person can go to meditate in the City. My week of meditation is nearly over (and then I am back to fighting the good fight for no reason), but I was contemplating where I like to meditate.

Yerba Buena was the first place I went to meditate when I worked at Tilia. I had visited Yerba Buena before I started working there and loved the height of the observation area facing the church, loved the easily accessible Metreon, loved the seagulls in the pool, loved the willows on the green.

Somewhere along the line they cut the willows down and everyone else found the place, too. On quiet summer nights I will still watch the church sometimes, and sometimes I’ll pick up soup and cookies at the San Francisco Centre and sit in the sunshine.

For a little while I would go to Grace Cathedral, or Moraga Hill, but those places stepped out of my reach for a little while with the Accutane. I want to go back to them after I am done on Sunday.

For now, the solace is found in the flat and coffee-ready Mission Creek Park. (And don’t tell me that Grace has coffee. Grace has coffee. Mission Creek has Philz. Huge difference.) I know that I need to go back to exploring the City. Exploring is what found me these other places. I also need to familiarize myself with Berkeley and spend a day in the Tiburon that I miss. I need to ride the ferries to Alameda sometime and go back to SJ for a hockey game. The world is getting too familiar and I am running slower and slower until I will be stopped on a couch, waiting for my ambition to return.

Solace in the new things, now. Skip the math and meet the town.

2 comments:

dkearns72 said...

It happens to me in my mind sometimes that I just slow down and dont have anything interesting to think about-- until i try out new books and ideas. and people. i wish i could explore the city, but ideas will have to do for now. :)

Jo Jardin said...

I like the new ideas thing...while I am lacking in people-interaction I am enjoying a lot of new ideas myself.

My exploring of the City comes more in if I don't use it I'll lose it type of thing...appreciating the color purple and such, queen anne's lace. If I don't start seeing the City and have nothing else to do, then I will slow down enough that eventually I will stop. I was stopped in Missouri, sitting slumped on a couch every night, and I am determined that will not happen here.

If you can't see the City it's perfectly understandable...embrace the ideas with the kids in the house. The City will always be here waiting for you...