Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Remedial

The frustration of not having the internet when I write this is that I can’t look up the sources I need to back up some items of thought. The joy of not having the internet when I write this is that I can’t look up the sources to pin me to a narrower scope of some items of thought.

For instance…

In college my advisor warned us, on more than one occasion and as quote from a famous figure in literature, that the schedule of a writer’s life goes somewhat like this:

You spend from your birth to the age of 30 reading, reading, reading. You read voraciously and insatiably.

When you turn 30, you give up reading and start writing.

I never wanted to give up reading. And perhaps it’s just the power of suggestion. But sadly, I feel my college advisor was right.

In college I cleared about 4 to 6 books a week, and taught for 40 hours on the corporate level, AND wrote papers and short stories, AND cleared three pages a day in my journal. Now I am almost half-way through a book of 538 pages and it has taken me 20 days to get there. I am reading no other books at the moment (unless you count my lesson at 3 pages a day). I write 3-6 pages in my journal and do these blogs and work 50 hours a week.

Why do I feel as though I have regressed or slid back into something beneath me? Why do I feel as though my college days were prolific and now I am simply dabbling in what I wanted?

Don’t tell me it’s age. If you tell me it’s age I will throw Virginia Wolf and Joyce Carol Oates in your face. I love books. I see a stack of books by my bed and I drool. I walk into Stacey’s or Green Apple and grow faint with the prospects. I want to read 4-6 books a week again, and enjoy it with fire like I did then. But I don’t want to go back to college. (For those of you readers who remember, I tried a course at Golden Gate University in Literature in Business for a friend, and was disappointed.) I don’t necessarily want to join a book club. I want to curl up with a good book and not be distracted by the world. I want to spend a rainy day engrossed. I want to forget that I need nourishment, I’m so enraptured.A cultivation based on wish. Perhaps an accomplishment with practice, made easier without the distraction of the internet…although I do miss updating my Facebook status.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Reading might be the better option.

Jo Jardin said...

Wonderful! If it's that easy I don't know what is holding me back!

:)

Very funny piece. I enjoyed that. My teacher makes a comment on writing that helps me too--write because you love to. If you're writing for the recognition, you'll hate writing and won't stay with it. Stay with it, she says, whether you are ever published or not...

'Course, I'm published here, and I love to do it...